- Title: Mars rover passenger vehicle aims to inspire human travel across red planet
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS VIEW OF NASA'S MARS ROVER 'CONCEPT' PASSENGER VEHICLE ON DISPLAY AT THE NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM CLOSE UP OF THE NASA LOGO ON THE MARS ROVER VEHICLE (SOUNDBITE) (English) THERRIN PROTZE, CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER OF THE KENNEDY SPACE CENTER VISITOR COMPLEX, SAYING: "Well, you know, there's always, always liberties. So, but a concept vehicle like this, we're hoping, you know, who knows? Who knows what the final one could look like? So I think the two concepts into one makes sense. So I think there's some validity to that. How it actually looks like this, you know, we want to make sure the visibility and everything is optimum. So it could look, it could change a little bit based on astronaut feedback. But we did have real astronauts review this vehicle and kind of look at it. And while it may not have the same materials that you would need on Mars, the overall functionality, it's got some real science to it which makes it valid. So it could look something like this, absolutely." PAN ACROSS THE SIDE OF THE MARS ROVER VEHICLE TO REVEAL, TURN ANGLE TO REVEAL THE INTERIOR CABIN VIEW OF THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE AND ITS HEADLIGHTS WALKING SHOT ENTERING THE INTERIOR CABIN OF THE VEHICLE TO REVEAL GLASS LABORATORY GLOVE BOX WOMAN WITH HER HANDS INSIDE THE GLASS GLOVE BOX VIEW OF THE 'DRIVER'S' FRONT SEAT AND WINDSHIELD WOMAN WIPING EXTERIOR OF THE VEHICLE CLEAN WIDE OF THE VEHICLE, MOVE CLOSE INTO NASA LOGO ON VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 23:20
- Keywords: NASA space exploration Mars rover concept vehicle human transport passenger
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Science,Space Exploration
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIXNPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:NASA is putting on display a 'concept' Mars rover passenger vehicle that the space agency hopes will help inspire the public about interplanetary travel.
The rover, which looks like an SUV that may have been designed for Batman, seats six humans. It is meant to be a general design concept for the kinds of vehicles that could potentially one day transport explorers across the lunar service of the red planet.
"Who knows what the final one could look like?" Therrin Protze, Chief Operating Officer of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, told Reuters at the National Air and Space Museum on Thursday (July 20).
"It could change a little bit based on astronaut feedback. But we did have real astronauts review this vehicle and kind of look at it. And while it may not have the same materials that you would need on Mars, the overall functionality, it's got some real science to it which makes it valid. So it could look something like this, absolutely," Protze said.
The angular body of the rover, which weighs in at about 5,500 pounds (nearly 2,500 kilos), is made entirely of aluminum and carbon-fiber, according to the Kennedy Space Center which is touring the concept rover at numerous east coast cities during the summer.
The Center said the rover sits on six giant wheels that each measure 50 inches tall (127 centimeters) and which have a unique design that allows the fine sands of Mars to slip through.
The rover includes a laboratory built into its interior cabin, complete with a large glass glove box for experiments and analysis. The vehicle is meant to travel over dunes, rocks, craters and hills at up to 4 miles per hour (about 6 kilometers).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None