- Title: British trade minister Fox meets WTO chief in Geneva
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION (WTO) HEADQUARTERS IN GENEVA VARIOUS OF WTO SIGN AND LOGO WTO DIRECTOR-GENERAL, ROBERTO AZEVEDO, AND BRITISH TRADE MINISTER, LIAM FOX, ARRIVING FOR PHOTO OPPORTUNITY AZEVEDO AND FOX SHAKING HANDS AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS AND CAMERAS AZEVEDO AND FOX LEAVING AND GOING TO MEETING ROOM AZEVEDO DURING MEETING MEETING STARTING UK DELEGATION DURING MEETING INCLUDING FOX WTO HEADQUARTERS WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION SIGN AND LOGO WTO ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 18:34
- Keywords: Liam Fox meeting Roberto Azevedo WTO World Trade Organization Britain Brexit trade Geneva
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIWUH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British Trade Minister Liam Fox met World Trade Organization's Director-General Roberto Azevedo in Geneva on Thursday (July 20).
Fox used a speech in Geneva earlier on Thursday to call for new global trade liberalisation, portraying Britain as a beacon of free trade and urging the WTO's membership to bring their rules on services and e-commerce up to date.
However, diplomats were sceptical that Britain's voice would be enough to unblock negotiations at the WTO, where the slightest reform requires the consent of all 164 members, and even efforts by smaller groups to reform trade in services or environmental goods have seen little success.
Sterling slipped back below $1.30 on concern about the Brexit talks coming to an end with no deal in place, something many economists have warned could cripple business activity.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None