- Title: Fireflies twinkle and glow in annual Mexican light show
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: SAN FELIPE HIDALGO, TLAXCALA, MEXICO (JULY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF THE TOWN CAR ENTERING ACCESS ROAD FOR PIEDRA CANTEADA COMMUNITY PARK SIGN READING: "WE INVITE YOU TO THE FIREFLY SANCTUARY. YOU HAVE ALMOST ARRIVED! WE ARE FIVE MINUTES AWAY. GO TO YOUR RIGHT." GENERAL VIEW OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT PARK AS DUSK APPROACHES GUIDE TELLING THE PEOPLE WHAT TO EXPECT PEOPLE WALKING TOWARD AREA WHERE THEY WILL SEE THE FIREFLIES PEOPLE LOOKING AT FIREFLIES FIREFLIES TWINKLING PERSON LOOKING AT FIREFLIES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FIREFLY SANCTUARY VISITOR, GABRIELA PALACIOS, SAYING: "We began to walk and when dusk began to fall, the atmosphere dimmed and that's when we started to see one and then another of the fireflies. As it got darker, we began to see more and the atmosphere became more magical." PERSON FILMING FIREFLIES WITH PHONE FIREFLIES TWINKLING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FIREFLY SANCTUARY VISITOR, JORGE TAVARES, SAYING: "This is a party of thousands and thousands of fireflies around us. Us in the middle. It was a beautiful experience." WOMAN LOOKING AT FIREFLIES ON TREE FIREFLY ON TREE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PRESIDENT OF THE PIEDRA CANTEADA COMMUNITY PARK, JUAN JOSE MORALES, SAYING: "The impact was first social. Because the people came and began to make economic spills at the regional level, not just at the level of our population [meaning that the tourists brought economic improvements to the regional and local economies.]" PEOPLE LOOKING AT FIREFLIES FIREFLIES TWINKLING PERSON LOOKING AT FIREFLIES FIREFLIES TWINKLING
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 19:41
- Keywords: Piedra Canteada eco-tourism Juan Jose Morales
- Location: SAN FELIPE HIDALGO, TLAXCALA, MEXICO
- City: SAN FELIPE HIDALGO, TLAXCALA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Environment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIW2TF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Millions of fireflies twinkled in the forests of central Mexico on Wednesday (July 19) in their annual mid-year appearance that draws thousands of tourists from all over the world.
As dusk began to fall in central state of Tlaxcala, visitors to the Piedra Canteada Community Park started noticing the flickers of light coming from the fireflies. Visitor Gabriela Palacios said that as the evening turned darker, fireflies swarmed through the trees, creating an atmosphere she described as "magical."
The fireflies of Piedra Canteada are also credited with improving the local economies, thanks to the unique version of eco-tourism.
Park President, Juan Jose Morales, said the tourists coming to see the fireflies have infused the local and regional economies with much-needed funds.
In exchange, local residents care for and protect the firefly forest, providing the insects a haven from the urban growth and deforestation threatening some 2,000 species of fireflies throughout the world.
Piedra Canteada has been actively working to draw tourists to the firefly spectacular since 2011.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None