- Title: Philippine police arrest 43 foreigners for kidnapping Singaporean woman
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS STANDING IN FRONT OF FOREIGN NATIONAL SUSPECTS WEARING ORANGE SHIRTS WITH TEXT READING (English): "PNP-AKG DETAINEE" FOREIGN NATIONAL SUSPECT IN ORANGE SHIRT POLICE OFFICER STANDING IN FRONT OF SUSPECTS VARIOUS OF DELA ROSA SPEAKING TO SUSPECTS VARIOUS OF KIDNAPPING SUSPECTS BEING ESCORTED OUT OF POLICE HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 06:58
- Keywords: police casino arrest foreign nationals
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0036QIU0JP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Philippine police said on Thursday (July 20) they had arrested 43 foreigners, mostly Chinese nationals, for kidnapping a Singaporean woman at a casino resort in the capital.
Police said the gang, believed to be a loan shark syndicate, was targeting foreign high-rollers, with 11 similar cases reported since 2015 involving two groups composed of Chinese and Singaporean citizens.
The 48-year-old Singaporean woman was kidnapped at the Solaire casino on July 17 and taken to a nearby hotel where she was beaten and threatened by her captors who demanded $180,000 for her release, the Bureau of Immigration said in a separate report.
National Police chief Ronald dela Rosa said the woman was rescued the next day. Kidnapping charges were filed against two Malaysians and 41 Chinese nationals, he said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None