- Title: Philippine police arrest 43 foreigners for kidnapping Singaporean woman
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIOR OF PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE HEADQUARTERS PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE CHIEF RONALD DELA ROSA SPEAKING BEHIND PODIUM CAMERA OPERATORS FILMING
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 06:58
- Keywords: police casino arrest foreign nationals
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QIU0JP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Philippine police said on Thursday (July 20) they had arrested 43 foreigners, mostly Chinese nationals, for kidnapping a Singaporean woman at a casino resort in the capital.
Police said the gang, believed to be a loan shark syndicate, was targeting foreign high-rollers, with 11 similar cases reported since 2015 involving two groups composed of Chinese and Singaporean citizens.
The 48-year-old Singaporean woman was kidnapped at the Solaire casino on July 17 and taken to a nearby hotel where she was beaten and threatened by her captors who demanded $180,000 for her release, the Bureau of Immigration said in a separate report.
National Police chief Ronald dela Rosa said the woman was rescued the next day. Kidnapping charges were filed against two Malaysians and 41 Chinese nationals, he said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None