- Title: Musk says received "verbal" approval for NY-DC hyperloop, gives no detail
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: HAWTHORNE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JANUARY 29, 2016) (REUTERS) MUSK, SPACEX DIRECTOR STEVE DAVIS AND LOS ANGELES MAYOR ERIC GARCETTI WALKING MUSK, DAVIS AND GARCETTI LOOKING AT POD
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 18:49
- Keywords: Elon Musk Hyperloop pod high-speed transport
- Location: HAWTHORNE, CALIFORNIA + WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES / INTERNET
- City: HAWTHORNE, CALIFORNIA + WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES / INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Science
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QIWK7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Entrepreneur Elon Musk on Thursday (July 20) said that he had received "verbal government approval" to build an underground transport hyperloop between New York and Washington, D.C., although he did not say who gave the approval or how any such project would proceed.
Musk, the outspoken chief executive of electric car maker Tesla Inc and rocket company SpaceX, advocates developing magnetically levitated hyperloop trains that would travel in airless tunnels, which he says would be more efficient and faster than current high-speed trains.
He recently started a project, the Boring Co, to build transport tunnels.
The Hyperloop, which Musk previously described as a cross between a Concorde, rail gun and air-hockey table, will be solar powered and move passengers and even automobiles at speeds of up to 800 miles per hour (1,287 km/h), according to the 57-page design plan. The system's aluminum capsules would run above ground and along low pressure steel tubes.
In several tweets on Thursday he said, "Just received verbal government approval for the Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC hyperloop. NY-DC in 29 mins," that the trains would go city center to city center, and that he is optimistic about getting a formal approval.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.