- Title: Video shows bloodbath after Mexico Marine shootout with gangsters
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: POOL OF BLOOD ON FLOOR OF CRIME SCENE CUP WITH DRINK IN IT, CAP IN POOL OF BLOOD
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 23:25
- Keywords: shooting shootout Mexican Navy Marines crime drug trafficking Mexico City drug traffickers drug dealers violence
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QNWR43
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: **EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT**
Fears in Mexico City on Friday (July 21) that the country's brutal war on drugs has hit the capital after a shootout in a suburb left eight suspected gangsters dead earlier this week. Reuters video showed the extent of the gunfight, with various bullet holes in a local home reportedly used by the gang as well as pools of bloods on the floor of the property.
According to official reports, marines on patrol in the suburb of Tlahuac were attacked by suspected gang members, sparking a firefight. The Navy said that among the dead was Felipe de Jesus Luna, whom it described as the head of a violent criminal organisation. The Navy said the gangsters were suspected of drug dealing, extortion, murder and kidnapping.
The exchange was one of the most violent clashes between security forces and gangs since 17 suspected gangsters were killed in northwestern Mexico at the end of June.
Mexico City has largely been spared the worst of the country's drug violence, with the capital often seen as a neutral space amongst rival gangs and cartels. But there are fears the balance has been disturbed. More than 100,000 people have been killed nationwide since Mexico declared an army-led crackdown on drug cartels and criminal gangs.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None