- Title: Istanbul protesters join "Day of Rage" against Israel's holy site restrictions
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) CROWD GATHERED IN FRONT OF BEYAZIT MOSQUE VARIOUS OF CROWD WAVING PALESTINIAN AND TURKISH FLAGS BOY WAVING PALESTINIAN FLAG PEOPLE CHANTING IN ARABIC "God is great" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) PROTESTER, IPEK OZKAN, SAYING: "They (eds note: refers to Israel) advance as long as we keep silent. It will be worse if we keep silent this time too. That is why we are not going to be silent. We will resist." PEOPLE CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) PROTESTER, OSMAN BAS, SAYING: "We are showing our reaction here. And according to the news, more than 40 of our brothers were wounded and 2 brothers have lost their lives. We are here to support them." PROTESTERS HOLDING ISRAELI FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SETTING ISRAELI FLAG ABLAZE CROWD CHANTING
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 17:34
- Keywords: Istanbul protests pro-Palestine al-Aqsa mosque restrictions Israel day of rage protest
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNWEH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists staged a protest in Istanbul after Friday (July 21) prayers as part of a "Day of Rage" to denounce new Israeli security measures at Jerusalem's holiest site.
There have been daily confrontations between Palestinians hurling rocks and Israeli police using stun grenades since the detectors were placed outside the sacred venue, known to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount, on Sunday (July 16), following the killing of two Israeli policemen.
At least three Palestinians were killed on Friday as Palestinian worshippers clashed with Israeli security forces outside the shrine.
The shrine includes the al Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam, and the golden Dome of the Rock. It was also the site of an ancient Jewish temple, the holiest place in Judaism.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None