- Title: South Africa's Malema says more than 60 ANC MPs will turn on Zuma
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA (FILE - FEBRUARY 9, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE TELLING PROTESTERS AGAINST ZUMA TO MOVE AWAY FROM PARLIAMENT / POLICEMEN WALKING WITH RIOT SHIELDS POLICE OFFICER STANDING WITH RIOT SHIELD AND LOOKING ON POLICE BOOTS, PROTESTERS SINGING IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 15:52
- Keywords: Julius Malema Zuma EFF ANC members motion of no confidence South Africa's parliament Economic Freedom Fighters party
- Location: JOHANNESBURG, PRETORIA AND CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: JOHANNESBURG, PRETORIA AND CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QNV29Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than 60 ANC members in South Africa's parliament will back a no-confidence vote against President Jacob Zuma if the ballot is secret, the leader of the far-left Economic Freedom Fighters party (EFF), Julius Malema, said on Thursday (July 20).
Malema, a former head of the ANC's Youth League and a firebrand politician known for his colourful language, said in an interview he had received personal commitments that ANC MPs would dump Zuma.
Malema, whose party supports expropriating white-owned land and the nationalisation of mines and banks, said economic misrule under Zuma was deepening apartheid's racial disparities.
Black South Africans make up 80 percent of the 54 million population, yet most of the economy in terms of ownership of land and companies remains in the hands of whites, who account for about 8 percent of the population.
Zuma faces the no-confidence motion on August 8, the ninth time the opposition will have tried to unseat him by peeling off dissidents from the ruling party, whose majority has so far protected him.
But unlike previous attempts, this time the vote may not be open. The Constitutional Court has cleared the way for the Speaker to allow a secret ballot, though it remains unclear she will.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None