- Title: Opposition protesters rally against judicial overhaul
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS PEOPLE STANDING WITH THE CANDLES (NIGHT SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 23:01
- Keywords: Poland Warsaw protest Free Poland Supreme Court
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QNWXFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters gathered in Warsaw on Friday (July 21) as they rallied against a judicial overhaul denounced by critics as a move towards authoritarian rule.
They were among the tens of thousands of people gathered in cities across Poland to demonstrate against the bill, which would force the removal of Supreme Court judges except for those selected by the justice minister and approved by the president.
The government of the EU's biggest eastern member state says the changes are needed to make courts more accountable and to ensure state institutions serve all Poles, not just the "elites" it says are the support base for the centrist opposition.
The ruling Law and Justice party (PiS) has rushed through its systemic overhaul of the country's top court at a time when many Poles are on summer holiday. The bill was not subject to any public consultation and was passed by the lower chamber just nine days after it was first submitted.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.