- Title: Two killed in Maracaibo clashes, looting
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: MARACAIBO, ZULIA, VENEZUELA (JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF LOOTED STORE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE LOOTED BUSINESS VARIOUS OF INTERIOR DESTRUCTION FROM LOOTING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) OWNER OF LOOTED BUSINESS, NERIO LOPEZ, SAYING: "Unfortunately, now in the country that we are living, the protests are confused with the common underworld and we fall into this, vandalism. Everything, everything [is affected], also the positions [of the employees], direct and indirect, because evidently everyone that was here will be unemployed." VARIOUS OF DESTRUCTION FROM LOOTING EXTERIOR OF A SCHOOL THAT WAS LOOTED VIEW THROUGH DOORWAY OF SCHOOL THAT WAS LOOTED VARIOUS OF INTERIOR DESTRUCTION OF LOOTED SCHOOL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TEACHER FROM LOOTED SCHOOL, DIANA ROSALES, SAYING: "All the air conditioners [were taken]. They entered and took the desks, the desks, they entered the offices, they took the tables." WINDOWS BROKEN IN LOOTING DESTRUCTION FROM LOOTING VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR, DESTRUCTION OF LOOTED BUSINESS EXTERIOR OF LOOTED BUSINESS, BROKEN WINDOWS VARIOUS OF DESTRUCTION RESULTING FROM LOOTING CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE CAR BURNING POLICE AROUND BURNING CAR GENERAL VIEW OF POLICE ON ROAD AROUND BURNING CAR (IT'S SO FAR AWAY IT'S HARD TO SEE)
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 19:48
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro opposition looting
- Location: MARACAIBO, ZULIA AND CARACAS, VENEZUELA AND INTERNET
- City: MARACAIBO, ZULIA AND CARACAS, VENEZUELA AND INTERNET
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNWN5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two women were killed during looting and clashes in the northwestern city of Venezuela on Thursday (July 20) as an opposition-organized nationwide 24-hour strike wore on.
According to local authorities, the two women were killed during the looting of a supermarket when they touched high tension cables inside the store.
Meanwhile, scattered clashes occurred in Caracas.
And Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez raised eyebrows when he posted video of himself on his Twitter page taking target practice. He said he was practising with "weapons of the Republic" to "guarantee our independence."
In addition to the Maracaibo deaths, two young men and one teenage boy died in unrest related to the Thursday's strike, according to authorities. Around 100 people have died in unrest that kicked off in early April, thousands have been arrested, and hundreds injured.
Over 360 people were arrested across the country on Thursday, according to the rights group Penal Forum.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None