- Title: Kos buildings left in ruins after quake
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: KOS, GREECE (JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF HISTORICAL MOSQUE DAMAGED BY EARTHQUAKE CLOSE OF DAMAGED PILLARS CLOSE OF CRACK IN ARCH DAMAGED ROOF WRECKAGE OF FALLEN STAIRCASE ON GROUND DAMAGED PILLARS, RUBBLE ON GROUND DAMAGED CHAIRS AND TABLES RUBBLE OUTSIDE DOORWAY RUBBLE ON STAIRCASE GREEK FLAG FLYING, RUBBLE IN FOREGROUND VARIOUS OF DAMAGED MOTORCYCLE AND BICYCLE NEAR RUBBLE EXTERIOR OF DAMAGED BAR HOLES IN THE WALL OF UPPER FLOOR VARIOUS OF RUBBLE AND CHAIRS ON GROUND OUTSIDE BAR VARIOUS OF CRACKS IN THE FACADE OF A CHURCH CLOSE OF FALLEN ARCHITECTURE VARIOUS OF CRACKS IN WALL GREEK FLAG FLYING ABOVE DAMAGED ROOF
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 10:58
- Keywords: Earthquake damage Greece Kos buildings damaged quake Turkey
- Location: KOS, GREECE
- City: KOS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNUV5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Historical buildings on the Greek island of Kos bore the scars of a powerful earthquake which killed at least two people and injured scores on Friday (July 21).
Mosques and churches in Kos Town were visibly damaged by the quake while rubble from fallen buildings lined the streets.
Local officials said 100 people were injured on the holiday island, a destination favoured by British holidaymakers. The identity of the victims was not immediately known.
Turkey's disaster and emergency management authority, AFAD, said the earthquake had a magnitude of 6.3, with its epicentre 11 km (7 miles) from the nearest settlement, the village of Camlik. Other reports put the quake magnitude at 6.7.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None