- Title: Mexico marines kill eight suspected gangsters in Mexico City
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE HELICOPTER FLYING OVERHEAD MARINES IN LINE IN THE MIDDLE OF STREET BLOCKING OFF SECTION OF NEIGHBOURHOOD MARINES STANDING NEXT TO ARMOURED VEHICLE MARINE ON TOP OF ARMOURED VEHICLE WITH LARGE GUN MARINES WITH HEAVY BODY ARMOUR STANDING IN MIDDLE OF STREET NEXT TO PUBLIC SECURITY MINISTRY VEHICLES POLICE VEHICLE BACKING UP AND DRIVING AWAY BLUE ARMOURED POLICE VEHICLE IN MIDDLE OF ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NEIGHBOURHOOD RESIDENT ANA CRISTINA PADILLA, SAYING: "They trapped a drug trafficking gang and killed the leader with seven others. I don't know anything else. That's all I know. (Reporter: Do you live in the area? Did you hear something?) I was just walking by when I saw all the commotion here." CONVOY OF POLICE VEHICLES ON ROAD POLICE ON TOP OF VEHICLE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NEIGHBOURHOOD RESIDENT WHO WISHED TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS, SAYING: "They (authorities) took too long, it was too long because it's a threat. I was raised here, 50 years living here, I saw the people growing up around all that (drugs and violence), and I saw how the youth were developing, how the drugs got in, how violent it was. Now youth can't do anything because they are taken in (by drug gangs)." MARINES STANDING IN LINE IN MIDDLE OF ROAD HOLDING SHIELDS MARINES STANDING IN MIDDLE OF ROAD NEXT TO LARGE GREY MARINE VEHICLE MOTORCYCLE TAXIS DRIVING BY SCENE TWO YOUTHS LEANING OUT OF WINDOW LOOKING ON AT COMMOTION MARINE VEHICLE PARKED IN MIDDLE OF STREET AT SCENE MARINES HOLDING SHIELDS STANDING IN SEMICIRCLE IN MIDDLE OR ROAD AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 02:27
- Keywords: Mexican marines kill 8 Mexico City gangs violence police authorities conflict crime
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNSOXV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least eight suspected gang members died on Thursday (July 20) in a gun battle with Mexican marines in Mexico City, which has largely been spared the worst of the country's drug violence.
Mexico's navy said in statement that a patrol of marines in Tlahuac, in the southeastern part of the capital, was attacked by suspected gang members, sparking the gunfight. The Navy said that among the dead was Felipe de Jesus Luna, whom it described as the head of a violent criminal organisation. The Navy said the gangsters were suspected of drug dealing, extortion, murder and kidnapping. It did not say if any of the marines were injured.
Marines were in the area to follow up on intelligence about the whereabouts of local criminal gangs, the navy said in the statement.
The exchange was one of the most violent clashes between security forces and gangs since 17 suspected gangsters were killed in northwestern Mexico at the end of June.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None