- Title: Quake damages houses in Turkey's Bodrum
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: YALICIFTLIK, BODRUM, TURKEY (JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED VILLAGE HOUSE DAMAGED ROOF RUBBLE ENTRANCE OF DAMAGED HOUSE / RUBBLE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CAR DAMAGED ROOF EXTERIORS OF DAMAGED HOUSE
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 11:18
- Keywords: magnitude 6.7 earthquake quake water Bodrum Datca Turkey earthquake
- Location: YALICIFTLIK, BODRUM, TURKEY
- City: YALICIFTLIK, BODRUM, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNV1HJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thirty-three houses were damaged in Yaliciftlik village of Bodrum, officials said on Friday (July 21) after a powerful earthquake killed two people and injured scores when it struck near Major Turkish and Greek tourist destinations in the Agean Sea.
Turkey's disaster and emergency management authority, AFAD, said the earthquake had a magnitude of 6.3, with its epicenter 11 km (7 miles) from the nearest settlement, the village of Camlik. Other reports put the quake magnitude at 6.7.
About 80 people were treated in hospital in Bodrum after the tremor, which struck at 1:31 a.m. (2231 GMT).
Turkey's location between the Arabian tectonic plate and the Eurasian plate renders it prone to earthquakes.
In October 2011, more than 600 people died in the eastern province of Van following a 7.2-magnitude quake and powerful aftershocks. In 1999, two massive earthquakes killed about 20,000 people in Turkey's densely populated northwest.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None