- Title: More than 400 middle-aged and elderly men and women show off swimwear in China
- Date: 22nd July 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 62-YEA- OLD SHAN ZHENG SAYING: "The reason why we take part in the event is to do physical exercise and show off our body shape and perform skills gained through exercises on the platform they (the organisers) provided. I've participated in the event for three consecutive years now."
- Embargoed: 5th August 2017 11:06
- Keywords: swimwear elderly middle aged show
- Location: TIANJIN, CHINA
- City: TIANJIN, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0046QSSCWP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than 400 people older than 55 showed off their bodies in bikinis and other swimwear in the annual "Grandbikini" event in China's northern city of Tianjin on Saturday (July 22).
The contest, aimed at promoting positive attitudes towards life and ageing, is in its third year and was organized by the Hetong Elderly Welfare Association.
The participants, wearing their favourite swimwear, strutted in the water and on the sand of a local water park called Happy Magic Watercube in front of judges who rated them on criteria such as stage presence, smiles and gestures. The judges handed out more than 100 awards.
The oldest participant, Ma Jing, is a 78-year old cancer survivor who took part in the event in her blue bikini, others were regulars to the contest, participating every year since its inception.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None