- Title: Caracas unrest leaves scores injured
- Date: 22nd July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF HIGHWAY WITH DEMONSTRATORS AND CLOUDS OF TEAR GAS DEMONSTRATORS AMIDST TEAR GAS CLOUDS VARIOUS OF VENEZUELAN NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERS FIRING TEAR GAS MAN WALKING COVERING FACE NATIONAL GUARD FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS DEMONSTRATORS SCATTERING AS TEAR GAS IS FIRED NATIONAL GUARD FIRING MORE TEAR GAS VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS, NATIONAL GUARD SEEN IN BACKGROUND DEMONSTRATORS THROWING BACK TEAR GAS CANISTER VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS RUNNING ALONG STREET VARIOUS OF INJURED DEMONSTRATORS RECEIVING MEDICAL ATTENTION DEMONSTRATORS THROWING BACK TEAR GAS CANISTERS NATIONAL GUARD LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS TRYING TO KNOCK DOWN A FENCE TO USE AS A ROADBLOCK VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING MAN SHOUTING SLOGANS WITH A MEGAPHONE SKELETON FIGURE WITH BANNER THAT READS (Spanish): "STARVING" LILIAN TINTORI, WIFE OF VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION LEADER LEOPOLDO LOPEZ, TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LILIAN TINTORI, WIFE OF VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION LEADER LEOPOLDO LOPEZ, SAYING: "We want to say that Venezuela doesn't want anymore violence. Venezuela doesn't want anymore repression or injuries. Venezuela wants peace and democracy. There is no peace without justice, Maikel Moreno (Venezuela's supreme court president). That's why we're going to the Supreme Court (TCJ) today. The TCJ, the Supreme Court, has to ensure the law is respected and the supreme court, for a long time has been the executing arm of the dictatorship." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING DEMONSTRATORS GATHERED IN AN INTERSECTION MOLOTOV COCKTAIL EXPLODING NEAR THE FEAT OF SECURITY FORCES IN RIOT GEAR MORE OF MOLOTOVS LANDING IN THE STREET IN FRONT OF SECURITY FORCES POLICE FIRING RUBBER BULLETS AT DEMONSTRATORS CROWD OF DEMONSTRATORS BREAKING UP AS NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS ADVANCE CLOSE-UP OF ARMOURED VEHICLE FIRING MORE OF SECURITY FORCES ADVANCING
- Embargoed: 5th August 2017 21:24
- Keywords: clashes tear gas national guard Tintori injured
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QSTJK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: PART LIVE-U QUALITY
Scores of Venezuelans were injured on Saturday (July 22) during violent clashes during demonstrations against President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas.
The Democratic Unity coalition had called a march on the pro-Maduro Supreme Court in support of alternative magistrates appointed by the opposition on Friday (July 21). But security forces blocked their way with armoured cars and riot shields.
Several people were injured as clashes ensued for several hours as hundreds of masked youths hurled stones and Molotov cocktails at National Guard troops firing tear gas from motorbikes.
The opposition coalition and a self-styled youth-led "resistance" movement have launched protests since early April against Maduro whom they accuse of turning Venezuela into a dictatorship and wrecking what should be a prosperous economy.
Maduro calls demonstrators "terrorists" who are seeking a coup. Since April, some 100 people have died in the unrest, including five during a national strike last week. Lilian Tintori, wife of Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez who is on house arrest, said they wanted democracy and a stop to violence.
Venezuela's political crisis has entered a dangerous new stage as the opposition escalates street tactics to try and block a controversial new super-congress Maduro wants to set up via an election next weekend.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None