- Title: Thousands flood Berlin streets for Christopher Street Day
- Date: 22nd July 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (German) REVELLER, LEO, SAYING: "For me it is a lot about demonstrating. We show who we are, not only those gays and lesbians, we are actually people and very varied, and that is important for me."
- Embargoed: 5th August 2017 14:21
- Keywords: Christopher Street Day Berlin streets gay rights parade
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0056QSTA3D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of people took part in Berlin's extravagant Christopher Street Day parade for gay and lesbian rights on Saturday (July 22), filling the German capital's streets with colour and music.
The annual event is not only an annual giant street party but is also aimed at promoting gay and lesbian rights.
This year's parade is special as Germany's parliament backed the legalisation of same-sex marriage in June in a historic vote and brings the country into line with many other European nations including France, Britain and Spain.
Christopher Street Day is celebrated each year around the world and commemorates the uprising on June 27, 1969 in New York City when homosexuals protested against "police brutality."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None