- Title: Kos tourists return to beaches after quake
- Date: 22nd July 2017
- Summary: KOS, GREECE (JULY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DESTROYED CAR IN RUBBLE / BEACH IN BACKGROUND RUBBLE / BEACHFRONT WITH TOURISTS IN THE BACKGROUND SUN LOUNGERS AND UMBRELLAS ON BEACH / TOURISTS IN THE WATER / TABLES AND CHAIRS IN FOREGROUND TOURISTS ON SUN LOUNGERS FEMALE TOURIST APPLYING SUNTAN LOTION ON MALE TOURIST VARIOUS OF TOURISTS SWIMMING AND PLAYING IN THE WATER TOURISTS SITTING ON SUN LOUNGERS IN FRONT OF DAMAGED BEACH BAR IN THE BACKGROUND / EMPTY SUN LOUNGERS VARIOUS OF THE DAMAGED BEACH BAR WITH COLLAPSED WOODEN BEAMS (SOUNDBITE) (English) DUTCH TOURIST, DOMINIQUE POLLYNK, SAYING: "No, I am really scared, yes, it's just at the moment, every night becauseâ€¦ there are still shocks, that they are, I think they are scared (scary), so yes." (SOUNDBITE) (English) DUTCH TOURIST, RUTGER, SAYING: "We are going back home Monday, and we have no place now, so we have to sleep on the street for two nights." TAVERN TABLES AND CHAIRS ON THE BEACH VARIOUS OF TOURISTS PUSHING STROLLERS AND WALKING TO TAVERN TABLES (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) KOS TAVERN OWNER, IBRAHIM KOUNELAKIS, SAYING: "Life goes on, it continues, just as normal. And now we have an even greater need for fun and entertainment." PEOPLE SITTING IN CAFE / DAMAGED OTTOMAN-ERA MOSQUE IN BACKGROUND PEOPLE SITTING IN CAFE / TOURISTS WALKING PAST AND LOOKING AT DAMAGED MOSQUE / TOURISTS TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS TWO TOURISTS TAKING PICTURES OF DAMAGED MOSQUE CRACKED COLUMNS OF MOSQUE (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH TOURIST, ANDREW SIMMONS, SAYING: "So 24 hours after, no problems at all, everything went back to normal, the hotel we stayed in was absolutely wonderful, they kept everything going all the way through the day and you wouldn't have known there had been an earthquake apart from 30 seconds of rumbling and a little bit after that, so it's very good." VARIOUS OF TOURISTS LOOKING AT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE / TOUR GUIDE SPEAKING TO TOURISTS, DAMAGED FALLEN COLUMNS VARIOUS OF DAMAGED COLUMNS VARIOUS OF LONG CRACK IN PAVEMENT AT PORT / BOAT DOCKED CRACK IN PAVEMENT SAILBOAT WITH TOURISTS SAILING PAST PORT VARIOUS BOATS IN THE WATER VARIOUS OF A TOURIST SAILBOATS
- Embargoed: 5th August 2017 11:43
- Keywords: Greece earthquake two tourists killed Kos island Kos tourists tourist season
- Location: KOS, GREECE
- City: KOS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QST64N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kos tourists and residents attempted to resume their lives on Saturday (July 22) after a deadly quake killed two on the island early on Friday morning.
At the height of the Greek tourist season, visitors sat at beaches and reluctantly returned to cafes and taverns, a few still visibly shaken.
However, some tourists said they were still afraid to stay indoors, with one man saying he preferred to sleep on the street at night.
Others said they were getting on with their holiday with several restaurants opening for business.
Archaeological sites in the area were also damaged, but had visitors on Saturday.
Government officials said one ancient Roman site and an archaeological museum on the island were to remain closed.
A Turkish and a Swedish tourist, aged 39 and 22 years, died when the roof of a popular bar collapsed in the town.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None