- Title: New Princess Diana documentary tells her story through the eyes of her sons
- Date: 23rd July 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) FILM'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, NICK KENT, SAYING: "I think the thing is, you know, as documentary filmmakers you're always looking for a story that hasn't been told. Although scores of documentaries have been made over the years about Princess Diana, she's probably one of the most scrutinised people in the world. Nobody's ever told this story from the point of view of the two people who knew her better than anyone else." FILM'S PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR, ASHLEY GETHING, SAYING: "And loved her the most." FILM'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, NICK KENT, SAYING: "And loved her the most, her sons." VARIOUS OF KENT AND FILM'S PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR, ASHLEY GETHING, WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FILM'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, NICK KENT, SAYING: "I think you get the private Diana for this film. I mean, in some ways we all know our children see us in ways that nobody else does. And I think William and Harry saw their mother in ways that no one else did. And what you get a sense of, the thing that surprised me most, is what they say about her sense of humour, as a practical joker, her capacity for naughtiness."
- Embargoed: 6th August 2017 00:21
- Keywords: Princess Diana Prince Harry Prince William Diana our mother her life and legacy documentary royals anniversary
- Location: LONDON / BUCKINGHAMSHIRE / CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND, UK / HUAMBO, ANGOLA / HAMBURG, GERMANY / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON / BUCKINGHAMSHIRE / CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND, UK / HUAMBO, ANGOLA / HAMBURG, GERMANY / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QXRIO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A documentary about Britain's Princess Diana aims tells the story of her life and death from the perspective of Princes William and Harry, who spoke publicly at length about their relationship with their mother for the first time in the film.
"Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy", is being released to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the royal's death in a Paris car crash on August 31, 1997.
"I think you get the private Diana," Nick Kent, the film's executive producer told Reuters. "Nobody has ever told this story from the point of view of the two people who knew her better than anyone else... and loved her the most, her sons."
The film tells the story of Diana's life, from the perspective her friends and people who were close to her. But at its heart is a lengthy interview with her two sons, who candidly discuss both the happy and difficult times in their lives.
The princes recall their mother's sense of humour, with Prince Harry describing her as "one of the naughtiest parents". They also recall the pain of their parents' divorce, and how they dealt with the news of her death and its aftermath.
While the film addresses many of the positive things that Diana was associated with in her life, including her charity work involving HIV and landmines, it shies away from more controversial issues, such as extra-marital affairs.
According to the makers however, the British royals were very open, and did not put any subject off limits. Rather, they wanted to cover new ground and make a different type of film.
"What we had in mind was that, in years to come, Prince William and Prince Harry will be happy to show this film to their own children and say, "this is who your grandmother was"," Kent said.
"Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy" will be broadcast on ITV and HBO on July 24th.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None