- Title: Israel installs new cameras at Jerusalem old city gate-local media
- Date: 23rd July 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JULY 23, 2017) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VIDEO (VERTICAL) SHOWING NEW CAMERAS INSTALLED BY ISRAELI POLICE OVERNIGHT, ACCORDING TO REUTERS WITNESS
- Embargoed: 6th August 2017 10:16
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Jerusalem Noble Sanctuary-Temple Mount compound new camera installed at Lions Gate
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QXSDHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel installed new security cameras at the entrance to a major Jerusalem mosque on Sunday (July 23), Israeli media and witnesses said, the latest development in a controversy that triggered the bloodiest confrontations with the Palestinians in years.
Video and still photographs said to show two new security cameras placed above Israeli metal detectors at Jerusalem old city's Lions Gate which leads to the Noble Sanctuary-Temple Mount compound.
Israel said on Sunday it would not remove the metal detectors whose installation outside the holy site triggered the violence, but could eventually reduce their use, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was reportedly eyeing alternatives to the walk-through gates after two policemen were shot dead there on July 14.
Gilad Erdan, Israel's public security minister who warned of potential "large-scale volatility," told Army Radio, that Israel may do away with metal-detector checks for all Muslims entering the al Aqsa compounds under alternative arrangements under review which could include reinforcing Israeli police at the entrances and installing CCTV cameras with facial-recognition technologies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None