- Title: Hundreds of Russians march to support internet freedom
- Date: 23rd July 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (Russian): "DOWN WITH ROSKOM CENZORSHIP!" - (PLAY ON WORDS FOR RUSSIA'S COMMUNICATIONS REGULATOR ROSKOMNADZOR AND CENSORSHIP PROTESTER HOLDING UP SIGN READING (Russian): "FREEDOM OF MASS MEDIA IS GUARANTEED, CENSORSHIP IS BANNED / CONSTITUTION OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION" PROTESTERS CHANTING (Russian): "RUSSIA WITHOUT PUTIN" (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) STUDENT IN MOSCOW, NIKITA MARTYNOV, SAYING: "I came here to support freedom of speech, freedom of the internet. These are our ideological liberties. I think that one needs to come and support any liberties. And in our country the internet is one of the last remaining places where one can express his opinion in a more or less free way. But we already see it being repressed and I am protesting against this." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING FLAGS AND POSTERS, CHANTING (Russian): "FREEDOM OF SPEECH EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PREPARING FOR MARCH SIGN ON POSTER READING (Russian): "FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH WITHOUT REPOST CENSORSHIP" - (PLAY ON WORDS) (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT, VLADIMIR, SAYING: "My version is that the objective (of government control over the internet) is to lower the level of education of the population and make it less informed. And then it is possible to inspire any ideas in the population - that they are the smartest people, that they read the most, that they are the smartest nation in the world. But in reality it just becomes dumber because of that." FLAGS OF OPPOSITION PARTY PARNAS PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGN READING (Russian): "RUSSIA WITHOUT CENSORSHIP AND DICTATORSHIP" VARIOUS OF MARCHERS WALKING IN COLUMN POLICE OFFICERS WATCHING VARIOUS OF MARCH IN PROGRESS WOMAN WALKING WITH SIGN READING (Russian); "I AM FOR INDEPENDENT AND FREE INTERNET" PROTESTERS WALKING WITH FLAGS PEOPLE CHANTING (Russian): "AUTHORITY OF MILLIONS BUT NOT OF MILLIONAIRES", SIGN ON POSTER READING (Russian); "CAN A COUNTRY THAT SEES THREAT IN HOMOSEXUALS, DUCKS, POKEMONS AND REPOSTS BE CALLED GREAT?" VARIOUS OF MARCH IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 6th August 2017 15:26
- Keywords: Russia protest internet freedom online freedom freedom of speech in Russia Russia internet internet march
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QXT6PZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people marched on Sunday (July 23) through central Moscow, calling for internet freedom.
Protesters from various social movements including the opposition Parnas party carried posters and chanted slogans against Russia's communications regulator Roskomnadzor, online censorship and court cases of accusations of extremist propaganda.
Some people also shouted 'Russia without Putin'.
According to media reports, several people bearing anti-president symbols were detained.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None