- Title: Poles demonstrate for fifth day against judiciary reform
- Date: 24th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS PEOPLE SINGING POLISH NATIONAL ANTHEM
- Embargoed: 7th August 2017 02:05
- Keywords: Poland protest judiciary reform
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QXTR9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of protesters gathered across Poland on Sunday (July 23), the fifth day of demonstrations and candle-lit vigils demanding that Polish President Andrzej Duda, veto the bill overhauling the Supreme Court that its critics say will undermine judicial independence.
Amid mass protests, senators of the right-wing Law and Justice (PiS) party agreed in the early hours of Saturday to a bill that would remove all Supreme Court justices except those hand-picked by the justice minister.
The overhaul of the judiciary, coupled with the ruling party's drive to expand its powers in other areas, has provoked a crisis in relations with the European Union and sparked one of the biggest political conflicts since Poland overthrew communism in 1989.
The European Union's executive on Wednesday gave Poland a week to shelve the judicial reforms that Brussels says would put courts under direct government control, or risk sanctions and the United States, Poland's most important ally in NATO, called on Warsaw to make sure that any changes respect the constitution.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.