- Title: Hezbollah says seizes strategic valley from militants at Syria-Lebanon border
- Date: 24th July 2017
- Summary: LABWE, LEBANON (JULY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LABWE TOWN WITH ARSAL MOUNTAINS SEEN BEHIND VARIOUS OF ARSAL MOUNTAINS AS SEEN FROM LABWE VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS IN ARSAL AS SEEN FROM LABWE VARIOUS OF MOSQUE IN ARSAL AS SEEN FROM LABWE MORE OF ARSAL MOUNTAINS AND BUILDINGS AS SEEN FROM LABWE
- Embargoed: 7th August 2017 09:19
- Keywords: Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah Sunni Muslim militants Syria-Lebanon border al Qaeda Syria Islamic State Lebanon Juroud Arsal border zone
- Location: LABWE, LEBANON
- City: LABWE, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016R2TN47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hezbollah said its forces seized a strategic valley from Sunni Muslim militants on Monday (July 24), the latest advance in an offensive to oust jihadists from their last foothold along the Syria-Lebanon border.
The Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah said it had advanced from several directions in the Wadi al-Kheil valley in Juroud Arsal, a barren mountainous border zone that has served as a base for militants linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State.
The offensive, launched on Friday (July 21) by Hezbollah and the Syrian army, has so far focused on militants from al Qaeda's former Syria branch, previously called the Nusra Front.
Hezbollah has reported rapid advances against Nusra fighters. The next target will be territory held by Islamic State militants, local media have reported. The offensive has so far killed 19 Hezbollah combatants and more than 130 Sunni militants, according to a security source.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None