- Title: Chainsaw attacker wounds five in Swiss town, police launch manhunt
- Date: 24th July 2017
- Summary: SCHAFFHAUSEN, SWITZERLAND (JULY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE VEHICLES AND POLICE OFFICER STANDING BY BEHIND POLICE CORDON VARIOUS OF ARMED POLICE OFFICER STANDING BEHIND POLICE CORDON IN FRONT OF CRIME SCENE
- Embargoed: 7th August 2017 15:04
- Keywords: chainsaw attack crime police Schaffhausen manhunt injuries in Schaffhausen wounded police manhunt in Switzerland
- Location: SCHAFFHAUSEN, SWITZERLAND AND UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: SCHAFFHAUSEN, SWITZERLAND AND UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016R2UTS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A man armed with a chainsaw wounded at least five people, two of them seriously, on Monday (July 24) in a small Swiss town that was then put into lockdown as police hunted for the suspect.
Police said the attack was "not an act of terror". They said they had identified the attacker, but did not name him, describing him in a statement appealing for help from the public as bald, unkempt and around 190 cm (six feet three inches) tall.
The attack happened inside an office building on a shopping street in the centre of Schaffhausen, a mediaeval town of 36,000 inhabitants on the German border, police said.
Police cordoned off the area and ordered people to leave, Swiss newspaper Blick said. Witnesses saw bleeding victims being treated by rescue crews, it reported.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None