- Title: Jada Pinkett Smith talks 'Girls Trip' success
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS, JADA PINKETT SMITH, SAYING: "It feels good, you know, for a lot of different reasons and I mean more so than for the box office. I just love what the 'Girls Trip' movement has been about, it's just that you can see just the power of women and once we throw power to each other because even though this is a movie starring four African American women, it's not a black movie in the sense that it's not only for black women or black people. And I think it's definitely time that we're able to break barriers in that way because I always say that one woman is every woman, and we all share very universal themes and issues that we care about and are concerned about, and the fact that we can come together and laugh is a beautiful thing. And so I feel that's more of a success than even the numbers at the box office."
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 12:38
- Keywords: success Film Actress Jada Pinkett Smith Girls Trip Movie Box office Will Smith black women
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK, VARIOUS UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK, VARIOUS UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RCTVF1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: CONTAINS PROFANITIES
Actress Jada Pinkett Smith says that her new film Girls Trip is all about female empowerment.
She told Reuters, "I always say that one woman is every woman, and we all share very universal themes and issues that we care about and are concerned about and the fact that we can come together and laugh is a beautiful thing."
She added that although it is a film starring four African American women 'it's not a black movie in the sense that it's not only for black women or black people'.
"Girls Trip" earned an estimated $30.4 million in the US in its debut weekend. The hit movie, directed by Will Packer, follows four college friends who reunite years later for a booze-filled trip to New Orleans.
It also stars Regina Hall, Queen Latifah and Tiffany Haddish. Speaking of her fellow cast Jada said she was able to "let go" on set with them.
"I think that's the other particular magic to this movie is that as women we're giving ourselves the license once again just to cut loose, you know to own our sexuality and to own our lives and to be autonomous and that's a beautiful thing to watch," said Pinkett Smith.
The actress has been married to actor Will Smith since 1997 and told Reuters the secret to maintaining a successful relationship while in the media spotlight. "You know it's just about what's important to you and really being able to just in the movie having the courage to stand in your truth, and that's all it's about," she said.
Girls Trip is released on July 26, 2017.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None