- Title: Funeral held for Jordanian boy killed in Israeli embassy shooting incident
- Date: 25th July 2017
- Summary: AMMAN, JORDAN (JULY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING NEXT TO POSTERS OF MOHAMMAD JAWAWDAH WHO WAS KILLED IN SHOOTING INCIDENT AT ISRAELI EMBASSY IN AMMAN
- Embargoed: 8th August 2017 13:24
- Keywords: Israel's embassy in Jordan shooting incident two Jordanians killed Mohammad Jawawdah stabbing guard
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- City: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Reuters ID: LVA0016R7SQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Thousands of mourners attended the funeral of Mohammad Jawawdah on Tuesday (July 25), a Jordanian teenager who was killed during a shooting incident in the compound of the Israeli embassy in Amman.
The security guard of Israel's embassy in Jordan shot dead Jawawdah who stabbed him with a screwdriver in an incident on Sunday (July 23) night, in which a Jordanian bystander was also killed.
Israel's foreign ministry said the security officer had acted in self-defence when he shot Jawawdah, a workman at the embassy compound whose father said he was 16 years old and had no militant links. The bystander appeared to have been killed accidentally, an official told Reuters.
Sunday's fatal shooting incident tested already tense relations between Israel and Jordan, one of two Arab states with which it has peace treaties. Jordan had wanted to question the guard, who was slightly hurt, but Israel said he had diplomatic immunity.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None