- Title: Monaco deny Real mega deal for Mbappe - reports
- Date: 25th July 2017
- Summary: LA TURBO, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 14, 2017) (REUTERS) FANS WAITING TO MEET MONACO PLAYERS OUTSIDE TRAINING GROUND VARIOUS OF MONACO STRIKER KYLIAN MBAPPE SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS WITH FANS SAINT-DENIS, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 27, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF STRIKER KYLIAN MBAPPE DURING TRAINING SAINT-DENIS, FRANCE (FILE - JUNE 12, 2017) (REUTERS) STRIKER KYLIAN MBAPPE DURING TRAINING
- Embargoed: 8th August 2017 13:57
- Keywords: Monaco Real Madrid Kylian Mbappe football soccer transfer rumour
- Location: LA TURBO, FRANCE / MONACO / SAINT-DENIS, FRANCE
- City: LA TURBO, FRANCE / MONACO / SAINT-DENIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016R7U5VJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French champions Monaco on Tuesday (July 25) have denied reports that a world record fee has been agreed with Real Madrid for the signing of striker Kylian Mbappe, according to Sky Sports.
The denial comes after Spanish paper Marca reported Real Madrid had bid a world record sum of 180 million euros (209 million U.S. dollars) for the French 18-year-old.
Mbappe took on a starring role in Monaco's title-winning season, scoring 26 times in total and grabbing goals against heavyweight Champions League rivals including Borussia Dortmund, Manchester City and Juventus.
Such a figure would far outstrip the 110 million euros Manchester United paid Juventus for Paul Pogba in 2016.
Real have a history of breaking world transfer fees, with their recent run beginning with the signing of Luis Figo from Barcelona for 62 million euros in 2000.
Current coach Zinedine Zidane joined the club from Juventus for 77 million euros in 2001.
That record was finally broken in 2009 with Real's signing of Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United for 93 million euros.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None