- Title: Turkey's Erdogan says Israel will suffer most from Aqsa dispute
- Date: 25th July 2017
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (JULY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SALUTING CROWD AUDIENCE CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "Israel's legitimacy is important in terms of the respect it shows Palestine and the Palestinian people. This means, Israel, which shows no respect to the special status of Jerusalem that encompasses three religions as well as the al-Aqsa mosque and Dome of the Rock, enters a dangerous path at the end of which it will see itself suffer the most damage." AK PARTY LEGISLATORS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "On my way here, I heard of Israel taking a decision last night to remove the metal detectors, and I hope the rest will follow." AK PARTY LEGISLATORS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "We have taken the necessary measures against the attacks planned on synagogues and temples in our country following the incidents at al-Aqsa mosque. Thank God, nothing serious happened, except for some minor mistakes." LEGISLATORS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "My brothers, as you know, I returned from a trip to the Gulf countries that includes Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar. The visits I paid to these three brotherly countries were very successful and productive." LEGISLATORS APPLAUDING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "Greece, a NATO member country for years, uses S-300 missiles. Why didn't they say anything? Why they are uncomfortable when it comes to Turkey? Steps have been taken and signatures signed with Russia concerning the S-400s. God willing we will see the S-400s in our country and this process will go on with joint production." LEGISLATORS LISTENING ERDOGAN SALUTING MEMBERS OF HIS AK PARTY
- Embargoed: 8th August 2017 13:05
- Keywords: Israel crisis dispute Turkey President Tayyip Erdogan al-Aqsa mosque Dome of Rock s-400 missiles Palestine Qatar Jerusalem Shrine
- Location: ANKARA, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016R7S3LZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday (July 25) that Israel would pay the price of a dispute over security steps it imposed at the entrance to al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem.
Israel installed metal detectors at entry points to the area after two police officers were fatally shot on July 14, triggering the bloodiest clashes between Israelis and Palestinians in years.
The spike in tensions and the deaths of three Israelis and four Palestinians in violence on Friday (July 21) and Saturday (July 22) have triggered international alarm and led to protests in Turkey.
On Tuesday, Israel removed metal detectors from entrances to the Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City in favour of CCTV cameras, hoping to calm days of bloodshed, but Palestinians said the modified security measures were still unacceptable.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None