- Title: Thomas Bjorn not concerned by Jordan Spieth's form
- Date: 25th July 2017
- Summary: VIRGINIA WATER, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) TOURNAMENT HOST GARY PLAYER MAKES A TEE-SHOT, PERFORMS A STYLISH DANCE STEP AND JOKES ABOUT HIS AGE GARY PLAYER PLAYS A SHOT FROM THE BUNKER GARY PLAYER ON THE GREEN/GARY PLAYER PUTTS IN THE 2018 RYDER CUP EUROPEAN CAPTAIN THOMAS BJORN ON COURSE (SOUNDBITE) (English) THE 2018 RYDER CUP EUROPEAN CAPTAIN THOMAS BJORN, ASKED IF JORDAN SPIETH'S FORM AT THE BRITISH OPEN CONCERNED HIM, SAYS: "Not at all. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I am delighted for Jordan but I have a strong belief in our players and when we tee up in France I believe that we can win with the players we have. You know the Monday after the (U.S.) Masters I think that you could have asked Jim Furyk the same question and he would probably have given you the same answer that that wouldn't have worried him the slightest. So golf goes like that, and we tend to look at what has just happened. Captains look at what has happened over a long period of time, and we have a lot of strength in our players, there's a lot of mental strength, there's a lot of quality so I am not worried about what the situation will be when we are teed-up in France." FORMER EUROPEAN RYDER CUP EUROPEAN CAPTAIN COLIN MONTGOMERY SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS
- Embargoed: 8th August 2017 13:58
- Keywords: Thomas Bjorn Ryder Cup Colin Montgomery Gary Player
- Location: VIRGINIA WATER, ENGLAND, UK
- City: VIRGINIA WATER, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Golf,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016R7U533
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Europe's 2018 Ryder Cup captain Thomas Bjorn has heaped praise on Jordan Spieth's performance in winning the British Open but shrugged off the suggestion that might grit his teeth while saying so.
"Not at all," said Bjorn, talking at the Gary Player Invitational tournament at the Wentworth Club on Monday (July 24), the day after the Open. "That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I am delighted for Jordan but I have a strong belief in our players and when we tee up in France I believe that we can win with the players we have."
Bjorn pointed out that U.S. Ryder Cup captain Jim Furyk would probably have given the same answer after the U.S. Masters, despite Sergio Garcia of Spain being the victor.
The Invitational gave the opportunity for guests to play with golfers like Fred Couples, Bjorn, Colin Montgomery, Bernhard Langer and of course golfing great Gary Player himself.
Now 82-years-old Player is spry and enthusiastic in raising money for charity through such tournaments.
Colin Montgomery was asked about reports that the Trump International Links course in Aberdeen had been considered as a venue for the 2019 Scottish Open but ruled out because U.S. President Donald Trump is the owner.
Montgomery, a past Ryder Cup European captain, a tournament organiser and a Scot, said it was up to the sponsors who wanted to avoid mixing sport and politics if possible. Montgomery added that the links course was one of the best in Britain and he hoped the Scottish would visit it eventually.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None