- Title: Chainsaw attacker carried two loaded crossbows when arrested, Swiss police say
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: SCHAFFHAUSEN, SWITZERLAND (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BBZ SCHOOL BUILDING, SITE OF NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SCHAFFHAUSEN PROSECUTOR PETER STICHER AND POLICE HEAD OF OPERATION, RAVI LANDOLT VARIOUS OF STICHER, LANDOLT AND POLICE SPOKESWOMAN ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) CANTON SCHAFFHAUSEN PROSECUTOR, PETER STICHER, SAYING: "The suspect, who was described by Schaffhausen police and prosecutors as being dangerous, carried two loaded crossbows with mounted arrows and two sharpened wood pieces in a plastic bag when he was arrested by police. The suspect was not carrying the chainsaw and so far it could not be secured." REPORTERS SEATED WITH LAPTOP COMPUTERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) CANTON SCHAFFHAUSEN PROSECUTOR, PETER STICHER, SAYING: "The suspect was alone and on foot. He did not resist arrest and he behaved respectably and cooperatively." REPORTER LOOKING AT LAPTOP (SOUNDBITE) (German) CANTON SCHAFFHAUSEN PROSECUTOR, PETER STICHER, SAYING: "The Schaffhausen prosecutor's office has opened criminal proceedings against the suspect, accusing him of various criminal acts against life and limb." REPORTER TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (German) CANTON SCHAFFHAUSEN PROSECUTOR, PETER STICHER, SAYING: "In this case the procedure will be that probably around noon, a first interrogation of the suspect will take place. Many of the questions you are asking or would still like to ask we will try to find answers to during this interrogation, among others the motive. So far no one has been able to talk to this person about why he allegedly committed this crime." THALWIL, SWITZERLAND (JULY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS NIGHT SHOTS OF THALWIL TRAIN STATION ON LAKE ZURICH NEAR WHERE, ACCORDING TO SWISS MEDIA REPORTS, THE SUSPECT WAS ARRESTED AFTER HE WAS IDENTIFIED BY A PIZZERIA MANAGER WHOSE RESTAURANT IS LOCATED NEAR THE STATION
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 10:31
- Keywords: chainsaw attack Schaffhausen police arrest crossbows
- Location: SCHAFFHAUSEN & THALWIL, SWITZERLAND
- City: SCHAFFHAUSEN & THALWIL, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCQJBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Swiss prosecutors said on Wednesday (July 26) that a man who attacked several people with a chainsaw in Schaffhausen was carrying two loaded crossbows on him when he was arrested.
Schaffhausen prosecutor Peter Sticher said during a news conference that 50-year-old drifter Franz Wrousis, who mostly lived in the woods, was not carrying the chainsaw with him at the time of his arrest and that it was unclear where the tool was.
Sticher added that a first interrogation was scheduled for later on Wednesday when prosecutors and police hoped to find some answers, such as the man's motive for the act.
Two people were injured on Monday (July 24) when Wrousis stormed into the offices of insurance company CSS, which said he was a client.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None