- Title: Colombia unveils outfitted Chevrolet Popemobile for Francis' visit
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) SHEET BEING PULLED OFF VEHICLE TO REVEAL POPEMOBILE PASSENGER SIDE OF POPEMOBILE SEATS AT TOP OF POPEMOBILE FRONT OF VEHICLE NUMBER PLATE ON VEHICLE DRIVERS SIDE VIEW OF VEHICLE SEATS AT TOP OF POPEMOBILE WITH OFFICIALS IN THE BACKGROUND DISCUSSING NEW VEHICLE OFFICIALS AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CHIEF ENGINEER AT GENERAL MOTORS ANDINA, KEYVAN RAHMANI, SAYING: "We are at 70% (of the way), we are making three vehicles. What we are missing here is - and we're missing a few components - is finishing the floor. On this specific model, we're missing the (papal) seat, like I was telling you, and finishing the roof." GENERAL VIEW OF POPEMOBILE DURING MEDIA PRESENTATION MORE OF NUMBER PLATE SEATS IN TOP PLATFORM AREA OF VEHICLE VEHICLE DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MONSIGNOR IN CHARGE OF PAPAL VISIT, FABIO SUESCUN, SAYING: "That is the point of the Popemobile, to make it easier to see the Pope in his journey and that is what is most important, for the Pope to arrive and to open hearts with his words and his testimony for the future. It will bring hope for this country to be one that is increasingly open to greatness, to solidarity, justice and honour." PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PHOTO OF MEDIA PRESENTATION WITH IMAGE OF FINISHED POPEMOBILE ON BOARD NEXT TO PHOTOGRAPHER OFFICIALS LOOKING AT TOP PLATFORM AREA OF POPEMOBILE OFFICIALS LOOKING AT INTERIOR OF POPEMOBILE MEDIA AT PRESENTATION FOR NEW POPEMOBILE COLOMBIA'S VICE PRESIDENT OSCAR NARANJO TAKING SEAT IN DRIVERS SIDE OF VEHICLE MEDIA HOLDING UP CAMERAS TO FILM NEW POPEMOBILE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) COLOMBIA'S VICE PRESIDENT OSCAR NARANJO, SAYING: "With 43 days to his holiness' visit, all Colombians are obligated to enter into Pope Mode, which means intensely preparing for the papal visit that will not just go to four cities but all of Colombia." REAR VIEW OF POPEMOBILE GENERAL MOTORS OFFICIAL WALKING OFFICIALS THROUGH VEHICLE GENERAL MOTORS OFFICIAL EXPLAINING DETAIL OF VEHICLE TO CHURCH OFFICIAL DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEATS OF POPEMOBILE STEERING WHEEL AND CONTROLS OF VEHICLE SIDE VEHICLE OF VEHICLE DURING PRESENTATION
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 21:40
- Keywords: custome vehicle upcoming visit Pope Francis Chevrolet engineering Popemobile Catholicism Colombia design
- Location: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCVS5F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: General Motors gave the public an early look of its new Popemobile on Wednesday (July 26), customised for Pope Francis' upcoming visit to Colombia.
The Chevrolet Traverse model has been personally outfitted with the pontiff in mind, featuring his traditional seat at an elevated platform of the vehicle that allows the pope to greet well wishers in his on-road journey. The vehicle is about 70% complete and the automobile giant will develop three vehicles for the papal visit.
What makes this Popemobile standout from its predecessors is that the Pope's seat in the vehicle will be fully automated and be able to make a full 360 degree turn.
Colombia's Vice President Oscar Naranjo was on hand for the unveiling of the vehicle, where he called on the whole country to get behind the Papal visit. Pope Francis will visit Bogota, Medellin, Villavicenco and Cartagena during his four-day trip to the country in September. The visit will be the third by a pope to the Andean nation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None