- Title: Firefighters battle southern France wildfires into the night
- Date: 27th July 2017
- Summary: BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, FRANCE (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) WIDE OF FIRE BURNING ON HILLSIDE AT NIGHT ROAD SIGN READING "BORMES LES MIMOSAS" EMERGENCY VEHICLES PARKED ON ROAD FIRE TRUCK DRIVING PAST MORE OF FIRE BURNING ON HILLSIDE VARIOUS OF FIREMEN STANDING BY FIRE TRUCKS FIREMEN DISCUSSING THEIR STRATEGY AS FIRE BURNS IN THE DISTANCE FIRE BURNING FIREMEN HOLDING WATER HOSE WITH FIRE IN THE BACKGROUND FIRE FIGHTER SPRAYING WATER ON FIRE FIRE BURNING MORE OF FIRE FIGHTER SPRAYING WATER TREE BURNING, CLOSE UP OF FIRE FIGHTER CALLING TO HIS COLLEAGUES VARIOUS OF FIREMEN SPRAYING WATER ON FIRE FIREMEN BY FIRE TRUCKS VARIOUS OF FIRE BURNING
- Embargoed: 10th August 2017 00:08
- Keywords: France wildfires in Bormes-les-Mimosas forest fire firefighters blaze
- Location: BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, FRANCE
- City: BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCW37R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Firefighters battled a wildfire in southern France into the night on Wednesday (July 26) after it broke out in the country's tourist-thronged Riviera coast overnight.
The blaze was the latest of several wind-whipped fires that are ravaging forest and scrubland on the hills and slopes that spill into the Mediterranean sea between Marseilles and the city of Nice in the southeastern corner of France.
Not far west of the yacht-filled marinas of Saint-Tropez resort, 10,000 people were evacuated - 3,000 of them from campsites - as a fast-encroaching fire ripped through the hills.
A gymnasium in Bormes-les-Mimosas sheltered around 1,000 people on Tuesday night, with evacuees telling Reuters television they escaped from the fires carrying just a few belongings.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None