- Title: Rwandaâ€™s presidential hopefuls rally supporters ahead of election
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: RUHENGERI, RWANDA (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) RWANDAN PRESIDENT PAUL KAGAME'S CAMPAIGN RALLY VARIOUS OF KAGAME SUPPORTERS SINGING AND DANCING KAGAME ON STAGE AT CAMPAIGN RALLY WOMEN DANCING
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 22:48
- Keywords: Rwandan President Paul Kagame Frank Habineza Democratic Green party presidential candidates Rwanda
- Location: RUHENGERI AND RULINDO, RWANDA
- City: RUHENGERI AND RULINDO, RWANDA
- Country: Rwanda
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCVXON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Rwandan presidential hopefuls continued their campaigns in a bid to convince voters to pick them in the upcoming elections on August 4.
Incumbent President Paul Kagame, who is seeking a third term in office, attended a rally in Ruhengeri where thousands of supporters turned up to listen.
He is widely admired for restoring stability after Rwanda's 1994 genocide, presiding over rapid economic growth and a relatively corruption-free government.
But rights activists say those achievements have come at the expense of civil liberties. Some of Kagame's political opponents have been killed after they fled abroad, in cases that remain unsolved.
Opposition candidate Frank Habineza, of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda (DPGR), attended a rally in Rulindo.
He was elected to oppose Kagame in a Green Party congress of about 400 members. His platform includes investing in agriculture, increasing salaries for the security forces and ending political detentions.
Kagame faces Habineza and independent candidate Philippe Mpayimana on August 4. Diane Shima Rwigara, a 35-year-old accountant and the only female presidential candidate was disqualified by authorities saying she failed to meet requirements.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.