- Title: Details of U.S. military transgender policy being worked out - White House
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) WHITE HOUSE DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY SARAH SANDERS IN AN EXCHANGE WITH A REPORTER: SANDERS: "As I said before, that the president's national security team was part of this consultation. You mentioned yourself that there have been ongoing conversations." REPORTER: "On the smaller issue, not a whole ban." SANDERS: "When the president made the decision yesterday, the Secretary of Defense was immediately informed, as were the rest of the national security team that had been part of this ongoing conversation."
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 20:29
- Keywords: Department of Defense White House transgender LGBT rights military Sarah Sanders tweet Twitter U.S. President Donald Trump
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0066RCVJGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: President Donald Trump's decision to ban transgender individuals from serving in the U.S. armed forces was a military decision, and the White House will have to work with the Pentagon to decide how to implement the policy, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday (July 26).
"Implementation of the policy is going to be something that the White House and the Department of Defense have to work together to lawfully determine and... I would imagine the Department of Defense will be the lead on that," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told a briefing.
Trump said on Wednesday he would ban transgender people from the U.S. military, an action appealing to some in his conservative political base, but sowing confusion about the fate of thousands of transgender service members.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None