- Title: Huge hailstorm batters Istanbul
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (JULY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) HEAVY RAIN FALLING ON BUILDING AND ROOFTOP PEOPLE ON BOAT IN HEAVY RAIN PEOPLE RUNNING IN RAIN AS WATER CRASHES ON QUAY BOAT ROCKING IN ROUGH WATER WATER GUSHING IN STREET, CARRYING DEBRIS / PEOPLE WATCHING PEOPLE SHELTERING IN UNDERGROUND STATION / WATER POURING DOWN STAIRS PEOPLE COMING DOWN STAIRS WITH UMBRELLAS PEOPLE STANDING IN ANKLE-DEEP WATER IN UNDERGROUND / ANKLE-DEEP WATER HAIL FALLING, FILMED THROUGH WINDOW FLOODED STREET WITH CARS HALF SUBMERGED MAN INSPECTING CAR UNDER TREE PEOPLE STANDING ON ROAD TAKING PHOTOS OF FALLEN TREE VARIOUS OF FALLEN TREE IN STREET MUDDY WATER FLOWING DOWN STREET
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 10:27
- Keywords: hailstorm batters Istanbul Turkey storm fallen trees
- Location: ISTANBUL. TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL. TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RHV2O7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A freak storm swept through Istanbul on Thursday (July 27), unleashing heavy rain and hail that flooded roads, felled trees and brought air traffic and transport to a standstill.
At least two people were injured when an old cemetery wall collapsed, the Daily Sabah newspaper reported. Flights from city's Ataturk airport, a major regional hub, had been suspended.
Parts of the city were pounded by gold ball-sized hail and roads were flooded with muddy rainwater. The downpour left some cars and buses submerged or stranded.
A large crane fell over at Haydarpasa port, near the southern entrance to the Bosphorus, causing an explosion and a fire that was later brought under control, the Daily Sabah said.
It was the second time this month that heavy rains flooded streets and disrupted transport in Istanbul.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None