- Title: LA "would be stupid" not to host 2028 Olympics, says Garcetti
- Date: 27th July 2017
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** IOC PRESIDENT, THOMAS BACH HUGGING LOS ANGELES MAYOR, ERIC GARCETTI BACH, GARCETTI AND LA 2024 BID CHAIR, CASEY WASSERMAN OUTSIDE THE MUSEUM GARCETTI, BACH AND WASSERMAN POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS GARCETTI GETTING DOWN ON HIS KNEES ON RUNNING TRACK TO GET INTO STARTING POSITION, FOLLOWED BY JOHNSON, BACH AND FELIX JOHNSON, BACH, FELIX AND GARCETTI ON THE RUNNING TRACK BACH TALKING TO GARCETTI GARCETTI AND BACH WALKING INTO THE MEETING ROOM AND WALKING TO A DESK WHERE GARCETTI SITS DOWN VARIOUS OF GARCETTI WRITING A MESSAGE IN THE GOLDEN BOOK AS BACH STANDS NEXT TO HIM GARCETTI SIGNING THE BOOK BEFORE HE AND BACH POSE FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
- Embargoed: 10th August 2017 13:14
- Keywords: Los Angeles Olympic Games bid Los Angeles "would be stupid" not to host 2028 Olympics Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Location: RANCHO PALOS VERDES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: RANCHO PALOS VERDES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: USA
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RHTWSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti believes his city will be "stupid" if the city did not host the 2028 Olympic Games.
Earlier in July, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) moved close to an agreement that will allow Paris and Los Angeles to each host the Summer Games between now and 2028.
The two cities were the only ones left in the race to stage the 2024 Games and an IOC session voted that it would seek a "tri-partite agreement" for one host in 2024 and the other in 2028.
The original plan had been to choose one for 2024 at the next session in Lima on September 13, discard the other and start a whole new bidding process for 2028.
For the agreement to work, either one or both cities would have to be willing to accept the 2028 Games if they were not awarded 2024, the IOC said.
On Wednesday (July 26) Garcetti told BuzzFeed News that the agreement could be made as early as next week and that 2028 looked more likely than 2024 for Los Angeles.
Should there be no three-way agreement, the vote at the Lima session will be a straightforward selection of only the 2024 host city.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None