- Title: Taking on Alibaba, Amazon launches Prime Now in Singapore
- Date: 27th July 2017
- Summary: SINGAPORE (JULY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** STAFF PUSHING TROLLEY IN AMAZON PRIME WAREHOUSE VARIOUS OF SHELVES CONTAINING PRODUCTS AISLE SIGNS PRODUCTS ON SHELVES AMAZON PRIME STAFF PUSHING TROLLEY STAFF SCANNING ITEMS PACKETS OF CRISPS BEING PUT INTO PAPER BAGS SHELVES PEOPLE PACKING ITEMS DIRECTOR OF AMAZON PRIME NOW ASIA PACIFIC AARIF NAKHOODA WALKING ONTO PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR OF AMAZON PRIME NOW ASIA PACIFIC AARIF NAKHOODA, SAYING: "Our high-end technology allows us to deliver great selections to customers, at lightning-fast speeds. Since day one, Amazon has been investing in the infrastructure for ultra-fast delivery, which is what makes today's launch so special." SCREEN READING: "PRIME NOW" (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR OF AMAZON PRIME NOW ASIA-PACIFIC AARIF NAKHOODA, SAYING: "Leveraging on Amazon's 20 years of operational technology excellence, this is the first time in any country, in any city, that we're launching Prime Now with no existing retail presence, or fulfilment network. This is truly a first for Amazon. Our services will drive Singapore's urban logistics, e-commerce, and retail industries. It will also help small and medium enterprises participating in the growing digital economy." REPORTERS SCREEN READING: "PRIME NOW" NAKHOODA AND MINISTER FOR TRADE AND INDUSTRY S. ISWARAN PLACING ORDER ON TABLET ON AMAZON PRIME ISWARAN (MIDDLE) AND NAKHOODA (RIGHT) POSING WITH EXECUTIVES OF PRIME NOW
- Embargoed: 10th August 2017 08:29
- Keywords: Amazon Prime Singapore e-commerce Chinese rival Alibaba phone app two-hour delivery
- Location: SINGAPORE
- City: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RHSJT1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Amazon.com Inc launched its two-hour delivery service in Singapore on Thursday (July 27), marking the e-commerce giant's push into populous Southeast Asia and its first head-on battle with its Chinese rival, Alibaba Group Holding.
While Amazon delivers to Singapore, higher-end services such as Prime services which include access to the company's video-streaming service, were not available. In Asia, Amazon has largely side-stepped China and focused on India. But its arrival in Singapore, a tiny but wealthy English-speaking city state of just over 5 million people, has been hotly anticipated as a gateway to a Southeast Asian region of 600 million, where currently only a fraction of sales are conducted online.
Industry executives are preparing for a battle of titans. Alibaba owns Southeast Asia-focused Lazada, and spent an extra $1 billion to boost its stake to 83 percent last month.
Amazon's Prime Now is Amazon's express delivery service, which launched in New York City in December 2014 and has since expanded to several other major U.S. cities, as well as European cities such as London, Berlin, Milan, and Madrid.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None