- Title: South Korea marks 64th anniversary of Korean War armistice
- Date: 27th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PERFORMANCE ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 10th August 2017 09:03
- Keywords: South Korea North Korea Korean War armistice anniversary Panmunjom Korean War anniversary Korean War armistice
- Location: SEOUL, PANMUNJOM, DEMILITARIZED ZONE, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, PANMUNJOM, DEMILITARIZED ZONE, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056RHSE9X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea commemorated the 64th anniversary of the Korean War armistice on Thursday (July 27).
The armistice, signed on July 27, 1953, halted fighting between U.S-led U.N. forces backing South Korea, and Communist Chinese and North Korean troops. However, it has never been converted into a peace treaty, leaving the two Koreans in a technical state of war.
Tensions have racketed up in recent months. Earlier this month, reclusive North Korea, which regularly threatens to destroy the United States and South Korea, said it had conducted its first test of an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) and mastered the technology needed to deploy a nuclear warhead via the missile.
South Korea's Prime Minister Lee Nak-yon attended a commemorative ceremony with Korean War veterans and said its government will keep persuading the North to stop provocative actions.
The United Nations Command in South Korea also marked the armistice anniversary in the truce village of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.