- Title: File footage of Japan's defence minister
- Date: 27th July 2017
- Summary: CAMP ASAKA, JAPAN (FILE - OCTOBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF JAPANESE SELF-DEFENCE FORCE TROOPS MARCHING ABE AND INADA WATCHING PARADE INADA SALUTING TROOPS ABE AND INADA SALUTING AS TROOPS PASS BY In October 2016, Abe and Inada reviewed a Ground Self-Defense Force military parade calling the recent Japanese change in its security laws to expand the overseas role of its military as having helped strengthen the U.S.-Japanese alliance against the threat of North Korea.
- Embargoed: 10th August 2017 11:49
- Keywords: Japan's Defence Minister Tomomi Inada file scandal
- Location: TOKYO, CAMP ASAKA, OSAKA, JAPAN / SINGAPORE
- City: TOKYO, CAMP ASAKA, OSAKA, JAPAN / SINGAPORE
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036RHSMYT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japanese Defence Minister Tomomi Inada will resign, broadcaster NHK said on Thursday (July 27), after a series of missteps, gaffes and a suspected cover-up that critics say contributed to a plunge in Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's support.
Inada, a conservative protege of Abe who was once floated as his possible successor, had already been expected to be replaced in a cabinet reshuffle planned for next month.
Inada in March launched a probe into media reports that defence officials had tried to hide logs showing worsening security in South Sudan, where Japanese troops were taking part in a U.N.-led peacekeeping operation. She has denied reports she was directly involved in the cover-up.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.