- Title: French wildfire threat persists as firefighters douse scorched forests
- Date: 27th July 2017
- Summary: BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, FRANCE (JULY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) CANADAIR SEAPLANES FLYING ABOVE FORESTS CANADAIR SEAPLANE DROPPING WATER ON FOREST VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS DRIVING ALONG PATH NEXT TO BURNT FOREST FIRE TRUCK DRIVING ALONG PATH VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS DOUSING SCORCHED SCRUBLAND AND FORESTS SPRINKLERS SPRAYING WATER ONTO SCRUBLAND FIREFIGHTERS SHAKING HANDS WITH EACH OTHER SPOKESMAN FOR VAR REGION'S FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE, FREDERIC MARCHI-LECCIA, TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (French) SPOKESMAN FOR VAR REGION'S FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE, FREDERIC MARCHI-LECCIA, SAYING: "There is still a threat to the area of Cap Benat where people live and where there are a lot of campsites. Our goal this morning will be to make the most of the night's slightly cooler air and the work that's been done, so that no new risk develops this afternoon when we are once again facing a slightly unfavourable situation." SCORCHED FORESTS ON HILLSIDE FIREFIGHTER AT WORK ON SCORCHED HILLSIDE FIREFIGHTER CLIMBING HILLSIDE VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTER DOUSING SCRUBLAND (SOUNDBITE) (French) SPOKESMAN FOR VAR REGION'S FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE, FREDERIC MARCHI-LECCIA, SAYING: "I'm pleased that the winds have finally dropped. It's meant we've been able to reduce the pressure on the workforce and also been able to work in calmer conditions and make good progress on the final hot spots." FIREFIGHTER WALKING NEXT TO BURNT TREES VARIOUS OF FIRERIGHTERS PUTTING ON EQUIPMENT VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS SPRAYING WATER WITH HOSE CANADAIR SEAPLANE DROPPING WATER ON FOREST CANDAIR SEAPLANE FLYING IN SKY / BURNT TERRAIN AMONGST MOUNTAINS
- Embargoed: 10th August 2017 12:20
- Keywords: fires in the south of France wildfires firefighters firefighters tackling blaze French Riviera Bormes-Les-Mimosas
- Location: BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, FRANCE
- City: BORMES-LES-MIMOSAS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RHTIKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Firefighters doused scorched forests and scrubland in the south of France on Thursday (July 27) to contain a persisting threat from wildfires.
Thousands of campers and local residents have been evacuated from Bormes-Les-Mimosas after blazes broke out and ravaged the surrounding areas.
Spokesman for the Var region's fire and rescue service Frederic Marchi-Leccia told Reuters TV that despite a drop in winds the Cap Benat area on the French Riviera remained threatened by potential blazes.
So far there have been no deaths reported in the summertime wildfires, unlike in other countries such as Portugal where they have killed dozens.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None