- Title: Chinese mall saves men from shopping purgatory with "man pods"
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: SHANGHAI, CHINA (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SHOPPING MALL GLOBAL HARBOR SHOWS: SHANGHAI, CHINA (JULY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) INTERIOR OF DOME OF SHOPPING MALL SHANGHAI, CHINA (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE INSIDE SHOPPING MALL WOMEN SHOPPING INSIDE STORE STAFF PACKING CLOTHES FOR WOMAN WOMAN LEAVING MEN SITTING ON BENCH MEN WAITING
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 07:35
- Keywords: video game pod Shanghai Chinese men shopping malls man pods resting spot women shop at ease men wait in peace
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RRS57D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The prospect of being taken on an extended shopping trip by your other half is a nightmare faced by many men across the globe, and China is no exception.
Now in Shanghai one mall is seeking to make the experience a little less tedious by creating "man pods", a cubicle offering video games where women can deposit their boyfriends and husbands while they browse the shops.
The "man pods" had their soft launch in June. Since then over 1000 men have used the facilities, the owners of Ruwo Smart Technology say. While anyone can use the pods, the owners had men in mind when they were designed.
With retail spending increasing another 10 percent in the second quarter of 2017, there could be huge demand for such facilities.
At the moment, the pods are only available in one Shanghai mall, though the company behind them say they plan to expand to other shopping malls.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None