- Title: Back to nature: Oaxaca's indigenous reclaim land for animal reserve
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: VILLA DIAZ ORDAZ, OAXACA, MEXICO (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SECRETARY FOR PROPERTY FOR THE VILLA ORDAZ COMMUNITY, DAVID MIGUEL JUAN, SAYING: "We have deer, pumas, jaguars, the lynx and the ocelot, those are just some of the animals we have. We also have other species of squirrels, pigeons, birds, eagles, quail." DEER IN RESERVE SIGN AT RESERVE WHICH SAYS IT IS GUARDED BY THE VILLA DIAZ ORDAZ COMMUNITY DEER IN RESERVE GENERAL VIEW OF SIGN NEAR OPEN AREA OF RESERVE
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 15:07
- Keywords: Mexico Oaxaca Villa Diaz Ordaz Danii idoo Nature Reserve Ecological Reserve Jaguar
- Location: VILLA DIAZ ORDAZ, OAXACA, MEXICO
- City: VILLA DIAZ ORDAZ, OAXACA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Environment,Nature/Wildlife,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0036RMUDZ7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Up in Oaxaca's highlands, an indigenous community in the southern Mexican state has banded together to give back part of its ancestral land to nature.
The Villa Diaz Ordaz community in the central region of Oaxaca has set up this nature reserve called Danii idoo, an indigenous word from the Zapoteca language that means "church on the hill". Local residents hike through the local reserve tending to the land and cataloguing wildlife activity in the area. So far, seven cameras set up on trees have already captured rare jaguars and deer.
Deforestation, fires and hunting has threatened groups of local animals that forage the highlands of Oaxaca. But this grassroots reserve has seen wildlife return to the mountainous region and flourish under the protection of the indigenous community.
And now the reserve has got backing from the government's National Community for Protected Areas, with plans this year to open the Danii idoo reserve to the public to promote environmental awareness.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None