- Title: At least one dead, 20 escape in latest Congo jail break
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: BUKAVU, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) BUKAVU PRISON VARIOUS OF SECURITY PERSONNEL OUTSIDE THE PRISON SECURITY AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS OUTSIDE BUKAVU PRISON SOUTH KIVU POLICE COMMANDER, LOUIS SEGOND KARAWA, TALKING TO U.N. OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (French) SOUTH KIVU POLICE COMMANDER, LOUIS SECOND KARAWA, SAYING: "We deplore this as they threw a Chinese type grenade. We don't know if it comes from inside or outside. It's the investigation that will determine this. We also deplore the death of one person, a visitor, and two wounded who are also unfortunately visitors."
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 20:29
- Keywords: Prison break security Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila
- Location: BUKAVU, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- City: BUKAVU, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- Country: Congo, Democratic Republic of
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMVRRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: **VIDEO AS INCOMING**
At least one person was killed and about 20 inmates escaped in a prison break in Bukavu in the east of Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday (July 28).
It was at least the sixth such incident in Congo since May.
The inmates escaped after an unidentified person threw a grenade inside the prison, Mayor Philemon Yogolelo told Reuters.
A visitor to the prison was killed and four others wounded when prison guards opened fire to try to stop the mass escape. A police official, however, put the number of wounded at two.
Deteriorating security, including an insurrection in central Congo that has killed more than 3,000 people since August, has led some of President Joseph Kabila's allies to call on him to decree a state of emergency.
Kabila has ruled Congo, a vast tinderbox of rivalries over mineral rights and ethnicity, since 2001.
His refusal to quit power has raised fears the country could relapse into the civil wars of the turn of the century that killed millions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None