- Title: Kenya opposition leader urges voters to 'bring about change'
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF NATIONAL SUPER ALLIANCE (NASA) SUPPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Swahili) OPPOSITION PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, RAILA ODINGA, SAYING: "We have only nine days left to go to the (polls), we want Kenyans to make a decision that will bring about change." VARIOUS OF NASA SUPPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Swahili) OPPOSITION PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, RAILA ODINGA, SAYING: "I heard Ruto saying that I said that we want to boycott the elections, I did not say that we shall boycott the elections. I said that they should not try or dare to use the military to steal these elections."
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 17:58
- Keywords: Rally opposition leader Raila Odinga National Super Alliance (NASA) Kajiado Kenya rally boycott elections Kenya
- Location: KAJIADO, KENYA
- City: KAJIADO, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RMVB5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Veteran Kenyan politician and opposition alliance presidential candidate Raila Odinga took his campaign to his stronghold of Kajiado on Friday (July 28) for a final boost of support as polling day draws closer.
Odinga, who comes from one of Kenya's most powerful political families, is trying to unseat President Uhuru Kenyatta, the wealthy son of the country's first president and head of the ruling Jubilee party.
Kenyans go to the polls on August 8 to elect a president, lawmakers and local officials. Devolution means that many of the local races to control lucrative county budgets are expected to be closely fought.
The last elections in 2013 were largely peaceful but the country is still haunted by two months of violence that followed the disputed 2007 presidential poll, when political protests rapidly spilled into ethnic bloodletting. More than 1,200 people were killed and 600,000 fled their homes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None