- Title: Sharif supporters and opponents take to streets
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) SUPPORTERS OF IMRAN KHAN'S PTI PARTY CHANTING AND DANCING VARIOUS OF FIREWORKS/ CROWD CHANTING (Urdu): "YOUR SHOW IS OVER, NAWAZ. GO NAWAZ!" PTI SUPPORTERS DANCING
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 19:55
- Keywords: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif Supreme Court Panama Papers Pakistan Peopleâ€™s Party (PPP)
- Location: LAHORE AND KARACHI AND ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- City: LAHORE AND KARACHI AND ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RMVJ2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Around 200 supporters of ousted Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif took to the streets in his native city Lahore on Friday (July 28), hours after the Supreme Court disqualified him from office over undeclared assets.
Sharif supporters carried posters and chanted his name through the streets of the cultural capital until they were confronted by supporters of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP).
In the port city of Karachi, scores of supporters of Imran Khan's PTI party set off fireworks and danced on the beach.
The Supreme Court's five-member panel ruled unanimously that Sharif should be disqualified, enacting little-used Article 62 of the constitution which allows dismissal of any lawmaker found to be dishonest.
The court's decision follows a two-month probe by a Supreme Court-appointed panel that alleged the Sharif family could not account for its vast wealth.
Pakistan was left with no government leader after Friday's verdict (July 28), which also ordered a criminal probe into the Sharif family over allegations stemming from the "Panama Papers" leaks of international offshore companies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.