- Title: Sharif supporters and opponents take to streets
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: LAHORE, PAKISTAN (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SUPPORTERS CHANTING: "PRIME MINISTER NAWAZ SHARIF" POSTERS OF SHARIF SUPPORTERS CHANTING (Urdu): "PRIME MINISTER NAWAZ SHARIF" SUPPORTER CHANTING (Urdu): "ONE SIGN FROM NAWAZ SHARIF, AND WE ARE READY TO SPILL OUR BLOOD!" (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) WORKER OF SHARIF'S PAKISTAN MUSLIM LEAGUE -N PARTY, SAYING: "Dr. Asim who looted the pockets of ordinary people has not been caught. Zardari (former President and husband of Benazir Bhutto) has not been caught. Only and only Nawaz Sharif has been punished because he cares for the country and the nation." WORKER FOR BHUTTO'S PAKISTAN PEOPLES PARTY (PPP) CHANTING: "GO NAWAZ GO!'" SHARIF SUPPORTERS SURROUNDING PPP PROTESTER AND CHANTING VARIOUS OF MAN WITH SHARIF POSTER TIED TO HIS WAIST CHANTING (Urdu): "ONE SIGN FROM NAWAZ SHARIF, AND WE ARE READY TO SPILL OUR BLOOD!" VARIOUS OF PPP WORKERS CHANTING (Urdu): "YOUR SHOW IS OVER, NAWAZ. GO NAWAZ!" PPP WORKERS CHANTING ANTI-NAWAZ SLOGANS/ SHARIF SUPPORTERS, CARRYING HIS POSTERS, MARCHING SHARIF SUPPORTERS AND PPP WORKERS FACING OFF WITH SLOGANS POLICE ARRIVING IN VEHICLES VARIOUS OF POLICE DONNING RIOT GEAR VARIOUS OF POLICE SEPARATING OPPOSING GROUPS VARIOUS OF PPP WORKERS DISTRIBUTING SWEETS (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) UNIDENTIFIED PAKISTAN PEOPLES PARTY (PPP) WORKER, SAYING: "Justice has been done towards the ordinary people, because the looting that they were carrying out is obvious to everyone. The court ruling has not only made us, but the entire nation, happy."
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 19:55
- Keywords: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif Supreme Court Panama Papers Pakistan Peopleâ€™s Party (PPP)
- Location: LAHORE AND KARACHI AND ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- City: LAHORE AND KARACHI AND ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMVJ2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Around 200 supporters of ousted Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif took to the streets in his native city Lahore on Friday (July 28), hours after the Supreme Court disqualified him from office over undeclared assets.
Sharif supporters carried posters and chanted his name through the streets of the cultural capital until they were confronted by supporters of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP).
In the port city of Karachi, scores of supporters of Imran Khan's PTI party set off fireworks and danced on the beach.
The Supreme Court's five-member panel ruled unanimously that Sharif should be disqualified, enacting little-used Article 62 of the constitution which allows dismissal of any lawmaker found to be dishonest.
The court's decision follows a two-month probe by a Supreme Court-appointed panel that alleged the Sharif family could not account for its vast wealth.
Pakistan was left with no government leader after Friday's verdict (July 28), which also ordered a criminal probe into the Sharif family over allegations stemming from the "Panama Papers" leaks of international offshore companies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None