- Title: Mugabe's wife urges him to name successor for Zimbabwe
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: HARARE, ZIMBABWE (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWSPAPER HEADLINES ABOUT GRACE MUGABE'S CHALLENGE TO ROBERT MUGABE TO NAME SUCCESSOR
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 14:11
- Keywords: Robert Mugabe Grace Mugabe Zimbabwe elections Mugabe Zimbabwe successor ZANU-PF Zimbabwe leader
- Location: HARARE, ZIMBABWE
- City: HARARE, ZIMBABWE
- Country: Zimbabwe
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMUERR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Zimbabwe's First Lady Grace Mugabe challenged her president husband Robert on Thursday (July 27) to name his preferred successor over the future leadership of the ruling ZANU-PF party.
Africa's oldest leader at 93 years old, Mugabe has ruled the former British colony since independence in 1980 but has insisted that ZANU-PF, and not him, will choose his eventual successor when the time comes.
But at a meeting of ZANU-PF's women's wing in the capital Harare, Grace Mugabe contradicted the veteran leader, who also attended the meeting, saying he should name a successor.
The battle over leadership has intensified in the last three years, with two distinct camps emerging, one supporting Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa and the other rooting for Grace Mugabe. Mugabe is ZANU-PF's presidential candidate for the 2018 election, his last under the constitution. He will be 99 if he wins and completes the five-year term.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.