- Title: Phantom: Rolls-Royce unveils its "pinnacle of luxury"
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) TORSTEN MULLER-OTVOS, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, ROLLS-ROYCE MOTOR CARS, SAYING: "Phantom is the symbol and pinnacle of luxury and it is one of the most sought-after luxury items in the world and for the brand Rolls-Royce, it's quite a fundamental icon in itself. It is the longest model line in the automotive history anyhow, over 90 years. It is quite a rare occasion to launch a new phantom and what we are doing here today for us as a company is a seminal moment in history." VARIOUS OF FIELD MARSHAL BERNARD MONTGOMERY'S ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM VARIOUS OF AGA KHAN'S ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM (SOUNDBITE) (English) TORSTEN MULLER-OTVOS, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, ROLLS-ROYCE MOTOR CARS, SAYING: "How do we improve Phantom VII even further to make it a Phantom VIII at the end of the day? We clearly decided to go in that ethos of Henry Royce, strive for perfection in everything you do. So we really looked into all the details and I think you can always improve in life and that is exactly what we have done." VARIOUS OF THE QUEEN'S ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM (SOUNDBITE) (English) TORSTEN MULLER-OTVOS, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, ROLLS-ROYCE MOTOR CARS, SAYING: "The whole sound insulation of the Phantom is up on completely new levels. We have brought rear-wheel steering into the car, not only to increase maneuverability of Phantoms, but also to make it even more comfortable when you depart or when you change lanes, and many many more features. Even including a feature which is quite a cool one when you exit the car, you just touch lightly the grab handle, and the door swiftly closes by itself." VARIOUS OF FRED ASTAIRE'S ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 15:37
- Keywords: Rolls Royce Phantom new release British luxury CEO John Lennon's Rolls Royce Rolls Royce exhibition British auto industry
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RMTF89
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Its founder once said "take the best that exists - and make it better", and that's what Rolls-Royce Motors says it's done with the eighth version of the Phantom.
The luxury brand says the reinvention is its quietest yet, and will be one of the most sought after luxury items in the world.
From rock stars to royalty, the Phantom is for its fans the car that keeps on giving, having being reinvented eight times over the past 90 years.
An exhibition at auctioneers Bonhams in London to celebrate the new launch reveals some of the Phantom's most famous customers, including John Lennon, Fred Astaire and the Queen.
The price tag for the new Phantom could reach up to half a million dollars, and even a pull-back in luxury demand from China has not hampered Roll-Royce's outlook.
Sales at the BMW subsidiary grew 6 percent in 2016, delivering over 4,000 vehicles around the world.
But as the UK, among others, announces plans for a ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2040, a change of direction towards electric propulsion will be on the cards at some point.
For now though it's focussing on the new version's 6.75 litre twin-turbo V12 engine, which Rolls Royce calls the "silently beating heart of the New Phantom".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None