- Title: Commuter train crash in Barcelona station injures at least 54
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED TRAIN AND STATION STAFF MEMBERS WORKING TRAIN PASSENGER, SAID SAHARAUI, SPEAKING WITH MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TRAIN PASSENGER, SAID SAHARAUI, SAYING: "The train braked but at the end we felt a big jolt. After the jolt people fell to the ground. I don't know what happened with the breaks, if the train had no breaks or didn't brake on time. It did braked but the train didn't stopped until the jolt." SAHARAUI TAlKING WITH A JOURNALIST STATION SIGN READING (Catalan) "BARCELONA, FRANCIA STATION" VARIOUS OF EMERGENCY SERVICES VEHICLES OUTSIDE TRAIN STATION VARIOUS OF POLICE, EMERGENCY SERVICES AND POLICE WORKING IN STATION
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 11:33
- Keywords: Barcelona train crash injured accident
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RMTJYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A commuter train crashed into a buffer in Barcelona's Francia terminus on Friday (July 28) morning, injuring at least 54 people, one of them seriously, emergency services said.
A train passenger said the train did brake while arriving to the station but it didn't stop until they felt a big jolt, which caused people to tumble and fall.
Twenty of the injured, including the driver, were taken to hospital while paramedics treated others on the platform. They had previously given the number of injured as 39.
The force of the crash crumpled the front of the train against the buffer and detached a sheet of metal.
The train was coming from the village of Sant Vicenc de Calders in the province of Tarragona on the R2 line of the Rodalies commuter rail service and the state-run railway company Adif said an investigation had been opened.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None