- Title: Palestinians clash with Israeli army in Bethlehem
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) ISRAELI FORCES USING MILITARY VEHICLES TO SHOOT TEAR GAS TOWARD PALESTINIANS ISRAELI FORCES VEHICLES AT SCENE PALESTINIANS HOLDING FLAGS AT PROTEST FORCES AT SCENE PALESTINIANS AT PROTEST ISRAELI SOLDIER POINTING GUN AT PROTESTERS ANOTHER THROWING STUN GRENADE TOWARD PROTESTERS SMOKE OF STUN GRENADE VARIOUS OF ISRAELI FORCES AT SCENE SOLDIER ON TOP OF MILITARY VEHICLE ISRAELI FORCES USING MILITARY VEHICLES TO SHOOT TEAR GAS TOWARD PALESTINIANS
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 12:34
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Bethlehem Friday Prayers Al-Aqsa Jerusalem clashes
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMSP53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians clashed with Israeli forces in the West Bank city of Bethlehem on Friday (July 28) during a protest against Israeli restrictions in Jerusalem.
Israeli forces dispersed Palestinian protesters using tear gas and stun grenades.
Tensions have been high in and around Jerusalem for two weeks, often erupting into clashes, since two Israeli police officers were killed there, prompting Israel to install metal detectors at the entrance to the site and a subsequent Muslim boycott.
Under immense diplomatic pressure Israel removed the metal detectors on Thursday (July 27), a move welcomed by the Arab world, but violence quickly returned when thousands of Muslim worshippers surged into the mosque, leading to scuffles with police in which dozens were hurt.
Before Israel took down the newly added security measures, Palestinian factions had been calling for a "day of rage" on Friday, raising concerns about another round of bloodshed.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None